Friday, October 08, 2010

My Top 50 Final Fantasy Characters (Part 1)

Hey people,

I'm doing a countdown of my favourite Final Fantasy characters, and why. This list isn't necassarily the most popular, or most important, it's a list of what I consider my favourites and in what order.

Before I start I thought I'd just explain a few things. Firstly, I'm not including the MMORPGs which in name, are the 11th and 14th games in the series. Not only have I not played these games, but they're both games that are not about characters, more about an expansive world and interaction with people online. If that annoys you then tough titties.

Unfortunately I'm not including 13 either. At the time of writing this I've played through MOST of 13, but my disc 3 has got laser burned, and I can't afford to replace it yet. So while I like certain characters in 13 (namely, Sazh, Vanille and Barthandelus), I don't feel comfortable listing them. So this list is FF1-FF10, and FF12.

Secondly, I wanted to include at least one character from each of the games (obviously not the above three), unfortunately that means there's only one character to represent a select few games, and while I'm not telling you which ones, you can imagine it being the earlier games. There was a lot less character development in these games and very few of them stood out.

Lastly, I want to say that I'll be doing this on a day by day basis. So that means one character per day, so it will take around 50 days to post this. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did compiling it. By all means debate if certain characters should be rated higher, or lower, or off the list completely.

Oh, and certain important characters are not in it. Probably the biggest surprise being Aerith. Why? Because in honesty, I just don't like her enough, she's very important, but I'm not a huge Aerith fan. Now onto #50.

Please note: This list will talk about spoilers. If you have not played the game that each character represents I'd avoid that entry.

#50: Garland

Full Name (to knowledge): Garland
Game: Final Fantasy I
Role in Game: Major Antagonist
Best Quote: "I, Garland, will knock you all down!!"

Garland is the first Final Fantasy character with a bit of oomph about him. He also has the first great quote of the series, which is above. He has a fantastic role in the game, quite unique actually, as he is the first boss in the game, and then becomes probably the most important character in the game. He's responsible for the majority of the crap that goes on the game and creates the time loop that will let him live forever. Considering this is the first FF game, his plot is quite deep for a game made in '87. That's why he deserves a spot in my Top 50 list.

Note: Garland is the first and only character from Final Fantasy I in this list.


#49: Doctor Tot

Full Name (to knowledge): Doctor Tot
Game: Final Fantasy IX
Role in Game: Minor Protagonist
Best Quote: "Where should I start...? First, your beard! Second, your nerdy hat! Third, your thick eyeglasses! All signs of a nerdy philosopher!" (Eiko to Tot)

Doctor Tot isn't a major character but his presence is truly felt in Final Fantasy IX. He was Garnet's tutor when she was a child, and he helps and gives advice throughout the game. He is warm and gentle, and is pretty much the grandfather of the game. Even though he is a very nerdy guy, he is really cool, and deserves a mention in this list.


#48: Xande

Full Name (to knowledge): Xande
Game: Final Fantasy III
Role in Game: Major Antagonist
Best Quote: "You've come far. But the darkness is three steps ahead of you. You're too late! Perish!!"

Xande is probably the only major character of note that really makes an impact in Final Fantasy III (I'm not including the DS remake, the original is what I'm talking about). He steals all the crystals because he fears his own mortality. By draining the crystals of their power, he is immortal again. The premise for this character has been done similarly many times but because he was one of the first he deserves a mention in this list.

Note: Xande is the first and only character from Final Fantasy III in this list.


 #47: Cyan

Full Name (to knowledge): Cyan Garamonde
Game: Final Fantasy VI
Role in Game: Major Protagonist
Best Quote: "No. Mr. Thou is THAT one. Over THERE!" (Sabin, to Gao, about Cyan)
Cyan is an awesome character. Not only does his Bushido attacks kick ass, but he's a genuinely nice guy. You feel so sorry for him, when he loses his son and wife when Kefka poisons the waters of Doma, but you also respect his courage to fight and gain revenge. His Old-English text is fantastic, and watching Gao and Sabin rip into it is hilarious. It's not hard to see why Cyan deserve to be in this list.


#46: The Emperor

Full Name (to knowledge): Emperor Mateus
Game: Final Fantasy II
Role in Game: The Main Antagonist
Best Quote: "This world can have but one Emperor, and I am he!"
The Emperor is the first official main antagonist to make it in the list so far. He is a wickedly evil man, and a very good villain in a weaker Final Fantasy game. He just wants to take over the world, plain and simple, but he does it in a very vicious way, and even takes over Hell. The Emperor has traits in his characteristics and his mission that transcends through the majority of the modern villains now, and deserves a mention in this list.

Note: The Emperor is the first and only character from Final Fantasy II in this list.

Agree? Disagree? Let me know your thoughts in the comments box below.

See other parts in the listing!

No comments:

Post a Comment