Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mixtape: Best Female-Led Songs

Hey there. It's my first proper post on here in over a week. I've been really ill recently and also in honesty, I kinda needed a little break from this site! I try to post every two days and some of my articles are quite long. But I love doing it so it's no excuse. No one puts that pressure on me but myself. It's good pressure though. But you also need a break once in a while.

Anyway, back to business. Female vocals in rock and metal are, for some reason, hard to find. I mean you find certain bands and certain artists come and make a small dent in the genres of rock, metal and indie, but it's a lot harder for a female vocalist to get the success that a male vocalist does. In pop it's a different story, you have female vocalists and girl bands all over the place. It's an oddity. So today, I'm paying homage to female vocalists in rock, metal and indie music.

Not familiar with my Mixtapes? Here are the rules.

A Mixtape is a playlist of a certain genre, band or era. The list is generally 80 minutes long, the same length of a blank CD, with further recommendations if some of the songs aren't to your taste. Remember kids, downloading is wrong! 

This Mixtape doesn't sound as good as some of the others I've done. But, the content is a nice balance of all the subgenres of rock, metal and indie. So in that respect this Mixtape is a success. Also, some of the choices aren't obvious, it's to my personal taste. Anyway, enjoy!
  1. Cannonball - The Breeders
  2. Not My Idea - Garbage
  3. I'm Not Calling You a Liar - Florence and the Machine
  4. Dreaming My Dreams - The Cranberries
  5. Creator - Santogold
  6. Paper Planes - M.I.A.
  7. Meet Ze Monsta - PJ Harvey
  8. Don't Give Up - The Noisettes
  9. Phenomena - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  10. Vaseline - Elastica
  11. Doll Parts - Hole
  12. Ghetto Love - Spinnerette
  13. Strict Machine - Goldfrapp
  14. BBB - How to Destroy Angels
  15. Peek-a-Boo - Siouxsie and the Banshees
  16. I Heard it Through the Grapevine - The Slits
  17. Oh Bondage Up Yours! - X-Ray Spex
  18. Don't Dictate - Penetration
  19. Rebel Girl - Bikini Girl
  20. Pretend We're Dead - L7
  21. My Cat - Jack Off Jill
  22. Brackish - Kittie
  23. Medicine Jar - QueenAdreena
Don't like some of these? Give these five a try...
  1. Going Under - Evanescence
  2. It's Oh So Quiet - Bjork
  3. Cherry Bomb - Joan Jett
  4. Kool Thing - Sonic Youth
  5. One Way or Another - Blondie
And that's it! I hope you enjoyed this list. There's a lot of variety here. I'm running low on Mixtape ideas, do you want to suggest any? Let me know, comment below or on my Facebook page or Twitter. That's it from me today, have a good evening!

For the latest updates on my work, 'like' me on Facebook here!

No comments:

Post a Comment