Saturday, March 07, 2015

My Top 100 Favourite Music Videos: #98

#98: "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana
Release Date: 1991
Director: Samuel Bayer
Fun Fact: The video was inspired by the film "Over the Edge" and The Ramones rock comedy film "Rock 'n' Roll High School".
I don't know what you're going to think of this video being at #98. The song/video is stupidly overplayed. You tend to find people either think this song/video as one of the greatest of all time or one of the most overplayed/fed-down-our-throats videos. For me it's both. I do think it's overplayed. I think the video itself is overrated. Hell, it's not even my favourite Nirvana video (more on that on a different day). But I do love the song/video all the same.

It's funny actually, comparing it to #99's entry. They're actually complete opposites to each other when it comes to imagery. This video has no vibrancy in its colour. The video is grainy and dirty. And yet it matches the song to perfection. The vibrancy and "power" in this video is in the performance, both by the band and by the audience. It's just pure energy, surged throughout a school gym. It's incredible to watch. So while it's overplayed, and, within time hopefully, will get played less, it's still an amazing video.



Here's the video for your enjoyment!
 

Click here to see #97 on the list or here for #99!

No comments:

Post a Comment