Monday, June 01, 2015

My Top 100 Favourite Music Videos: #12

#12: "Hurt" - Johnny Cash
Release Date: 2003
Director: Mark Romanek
Fun Fact: I seriously hope you know this fact, but for all the people who don't know, this is a cover version. The song was originally by my favourite band, Nine Inch Nails, you can listen to it here. Definitely give it a listen if you've never heard it before.
This song, and the video for that matter, give me goosebumps. Without fail. Every time I hear it. And while I love Nine Inch Nails, and I love the original by the band, this version, sends horrible shivers down my spine. Trent Reznor wrote the lyrics to help him ease through difficult times in his life. Johnny Cash chose to sing the lyrics during the final months of his life. He died seven months after the video was released.

This video pays the ultimate tribute to the life and career of Johnny Cash. It uses all the amazing clips of the career and times in his life, the good and the bad. Alongside it is Johnny Cash, looking and singing as frail as he ever did, and it's almost as if we, the viewer, live his life in four minutes. It's dark, and haunting, yet beautiful and rewarding at the same time. There will never be a man like Johnny Cash on the face of this earth again. And this video is the ultimate epitaph for The Man in Black.


Here is the video for your enjoyment!

Click here to see #11 on the list or here for #13!

No comments:

Post a Comment