Wednesday, April 06, 2016

My Top 100 Favourite Songs 2010-14 Edition: #45

#45. “Out of the Black" – Royal Blood
Released: 22/11/13
Album: Royal Blood


Royal Blood's debut single was a bit of a slowburner. It didn't catch fire as quickly as a few of the other songs, but for longevity, I think it's arguably outlasted the other songs. You may or may not be a wrestling fan, but it was the theme song for a WWE pay-per-view called Roadblock only last month, which suggests that the song got a good amount of airplay in America only recently.

For me, what I love so much about "Out of the Black" is that it really, REALLY reminds me of Muse. And I don't mean arena-rock-trying-to-rip-Queen Muse, but earlier days of Muse, circa-2002. In particular the song "Dead Star". You may or may not hear the influence I hear in "Out of the Black" from this song, but either way these two songs sound very similar in certain ways to me. And I just love that. Royal Blood ooze potential, and there's a reason why they're one of the most exciting British rock bands around at the moment, and they're just getting started.

Here's the video if you want to hear it!

If you missed #46 go here.

For the latest updates on my work, including all my latest radio shows, follow me on Facebook and Twitter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment