Friday, November 25, 2016

My Top 100 Favourite Songs 2010-14 Edition: #19

#19. "Thieves” – Limp Bizkit
Released: 1/11/13
Album: Stampede of the Disco Elephants

Well it’s funny now because Wikipedia is now saying this wasn’t a single. It definitely was, there's evidence of it everywhere. I'm pretty sure it's a promotional single for an album that STILL hasn’t come out I’m keeping this song on this list. Speaking of, when the fuck is this album coming out Fred Durst??

Anyway, this, if you didn’t know, was a cover version of a song by legendary industrial metal band “Ministry”. I’ve been a fan of Ministry and the song “Thieves” for a long time and when I initially heard that Limp Bizkit were to do a cover version of the song I was like “oh no, Fred’s going to destroy it”. Limp Bizkit only wish they were half the band that Ministry are, even if they are more popular with mainstream audiences. But then, apparently Limp Bizkit have been playing this song live for many years, even before they did the cover in the studio.

And fuck me it’s a belter of a cover version. I never expected Limp Bizkit to even do the song an ounce of justice but actually, I hate to say it but they actually match the original in my eyes. Now that is definitely a controversial statement considering what I said above but I stick to my opinion on this. Not only does the song follow the source material well, but they have “Limp Bizkit-afied” it well as well, so it does sound like a Limp Bizkit song . It’s always a tricky thing to do, to stamp your own authority on a song without leaving a dent on the original artist’s song. And credit where it’s due, this is a brilliant cover and I listened to it a lot when I heard it at the tail end of 2013 and into 2014.

Here's the video if you want to hear it!
If you missed #20 go here.

For the latest updates on my work, including all my latest radio shows, follow me on Facebook and Twitter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment