Friday, December 02, 2016

My Top 100 Favourite Songs 2010-14 Edition: #12

#12 “Dance" by Saul Williams
Released: 5/5/11
Album: Volcanic Sunlight
Saul Williams is an artist I mention a lot on this website and personally because for me, there are fewer underrated artists around than him. He truly does transcend “genre”, because while he’s a poetic hip hop artist by trade, he mixes in so many genres like rock, electronic, industrial metal, African tribal music and even soul music from the seventies. This album, “Volcanic Sunlight” is a fantastic example of that (I’ve reviewed it actually for this website, you can read that here). And “Dance” for me, even if it is a single, is a huge highlight on the album. The video is gorgeous too. It’s strange actually because it doesn’t sound like anything else he has done before or since, it’s mainly an electronic hip hop track but I can’t even compare it to bands or artists in that genre. It’s truly a song you’ll have to hear, it’s so damn cool. And if you do listen to it and like it, please listen to his other shit, he’s a heck of an artist, a king of underground slam jam poetry hip-hop that mixes so much other styles of music into his art. And lyrically, he’s as good if not better than anyone else out there at the moment.

Here's the video if you want to hear it!

If you missed #13 go here.

For the latest updates on my work, including all my latest radio shows, follow me on Facebook and Twitter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment