Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Mixtape: Best Cover Versions

Hey there, welcome to my newest Mixtape. This time I'm going to reveal my favourite cover versions. Now I did make this into a Mixtape way back around four years ago, but it's disappeared into the abyss on the internet. I don't mind reworking this from scratch anyway as I have since discovered and remembered better songs. Not familiar with my Mixtapes? Here are the rules as usual.

A Mixtape is a playlist of a certain genre, band or era. The list is generally 80 minutes long, the same length of a blank CD, with further recommendations if some of the songs aren't to your taste. Remember kids, downloading is wrong! 

Before I begin I'd just like to rule out artists that do cover versions predominantly as an artist, like Weird Al Yankovic, who does parodies of songs, and Richard Cheese, who does amazing jazz versions of songs. If you've never heard the work of Richard Cheese, seriously, give the guy a listen, he's absolutely phenomenal and funny, let this song get you started. One more thing, linked below are the songs and if you click on the original artists (which are bracketed) you can listen to the originals, if I can find them. Anyway, onto the Mixtape!
  1. Ain't No Grave - Johnny Cash (Bozie Sturdivant)
  2. Alabama Song - The Doors (Kurt Weill)
  3. Feeling Good - Muse (Nina Simone)
  4. Sunday Bloody Sunday - Saul Williams (U2)
  5. Telegram Sam - Bauhaus (T-Rex)
  6. Wild is the Wind - David Bowie (Johnny Mathis)
  7. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Devo (The Rolling Stones)
  8. She Said - The Cramps (Hasil Adkins)
  9. Ball of Confusion - Love and Rockets (The Temptations)
  10. Turnaround - Nirvana (Devo)
  11. Running Up That Hill - Placebo (Kate Bush)
  12. Iron Man - Electric Eel Shock (Black Sabbath)
  13. Everybody's Gonna Be Happy - The Queens of the Stone Age (The Kinks)
  14. Whiskey in the Jar - Metallica (Unknown, Traditional Irish Folk Song)
  15. Electric Avenue - Skindred (Eddy Grant)
  16. Bring the Pain - Mindless Self Indulgence (Method Man)
  17. Renegades of Funk - Rage Against the Machine (Afrika Bambaataa)
  18. I'm Your Boogie Man - White Zombie (KC and the Sunshine Band)
  19. I Put a Spell on You - Marilyn Manson (Screamin' Jay Hawkins)
  20. Dead Souls - Nine Inch Nails (Joy Division)
Some of these not to your taste? Here's five alternatives...
  1. Rise - Jerk (Public Image Ltd)
  2. The Game - Drowning Pool (Motorhead)
  3. Blitzkrieg Bop - Rob Zombie (The Ramones)
  4. My Girl - The Jesus and Mary Chain (The Temptations)
  5. Jolene - The White Stripes (Dolly Parton)
To listen to the playlist on YouTube click here!

Well I hope you enjoyed this list. There might be songs on here you've not heard before, if so, give them a listen. I'll be back either on Friday or Saturday, I'm not sure yet but one way or another I'll hope to see you back on this site again soon. Take care!


For the latest updates on my work, follow me on Facebook and Twitter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment